Sunday, June 22, 2008

Post Uganda

When Dan and I got back to O'Hare, Christina pulled up and Spencer shot out of the car and gave me a big hug. Lilly was all quiet for a little while (where ya been, Daddy?). It was so great to see my family (of course I missed them so much). When we got home, there was a huge "Welcome Back Daddy" sign on the wall, which was colored by the whole family so well. I am very blessed to have a wonderful wife and great kids.

So, I have been back from Uganda and I am already thinking about going back. Uganda is such a beautiful country and the people are the most beautiful part. A few observations about the people we met:

1) They truly possess the gift of hospitality. They really expressed how welcome we were to their villages, schools, and everywhere else we went. They went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and gave generously. They sacrificed their own comfort and resources to give to us what was not necessary but given out of love.

2) I was amazed by their faith and eagerness to talk about what God has done in their lives. I heard some amazing testimonies from some amazing people.

3) I felt an incredible sense of community. The folks in the village really pulled together on the different construction projects, eager to work together for the common good.

4) The folks who work for Global Family Rescue and the other Non Government Organizations within Uganda have such a passion to lift up the impoverished and under-resourced. They have extraordinary talents and would make significantly more money in the business-world. They have foregone treasures on earth and instead are storing them up in heaven.

5) The team I was on with Ben, Renata, Michelle, Kaitlin, Lee, Dan, Jamie, Jackie, Harrison, Brain, Andy, and Terry (aka T-Lish) was wonderful.

So what now? A few things. I keep thinking about the Child Mothers in Gulu and the people in Gulu in general. This was the toughest part of the trip for me. I will be praying for the people in Gulu and seeing where God might lead me.

I hope that you will consider sponsoring a family in Uganda. For $64 per month, you can transform a family. They can have regular meals, education, housing, and a stronger relationship with God. Olive and Aaron, the family Christina and I sponsor, were given this financial resource and truly capitalized on it. They now have a home, regular meals, education, and hope. Please check out http://www.globalfamilyrescue.org/ for more information on sponsorship or to give a one-time gift.

Also, I am sure there are people who have followed my trip who are all over the spectrum on their feelings about God and their relationships with God. Prior to November 2006, I wasn't really sure about who God was (and at times, if there really was a God). I call tell you that God has transformed my life. If ever you want to hear my story about how this all happened, or just want to check out where I go to church, I would love to share with you.

Thank you to everyone who was with me on this journey.

No comments: